FOURTH ANNUAL SOLOIST CONCERTO COMPETITION
The Saint Louis Philharmonic Society is pleased to announce its fourth annual Aspiring Soloist Concerto Competition, co-sponsored by Contemporary
Productions, Inc and the Bearden Violin Shop. String, wind, brass, and percussion players who are high school seniors or younger
are invited to compete for this opportunity to perform with the Saint Louis Philharmonic on Friday, November 22, 2019, at the
Purser Auditorium (1851 Schoettler Road, Chesterfield, MO, 63017).
The initial stage of the competition is open to all individuals who meet the eligibility criteria below. Simply record your performance,
upload it to YouTube, and send us the link on the form provided. Videos must be submitted by August 23, 2019. Up to 10 performers will be
selected for a second round, held from 9 AM to noon on September 14, 2019, at the Thompson House (on the campus of Webster University) before a
panel of judges. Multiple prize winners may be awarded with cash prizes, but only a single first-prize winner will be chosen to perform with
the orchestra. The winner will be our guest soloist on November 22, 2019, at the Purser Auditorium, performing the same concerto movement
that was heard during the competition.
The competition is open to young string, wind, brass, and percussion players (high school seniors or younger) within a 100 mile radius of St. Louis.
Unfortunately, we are unable to include pianists at this time. Previous finalists of the competition are welcome to re-enter the competition,
however previous winners of the competition are ineligible. The winner must be available for rehearsal with the St. Louis Philharmonic on 11/20,
a dress rehearsal on 11/21, and the performance on 11/22/2019, at Purser Auditorium.
- All applicants must perform the same piece for all rounds of the competition.
The selected piece can be any solo work with an orchestra accompaniment EXCEPT the following works, which have been performed by the orchestra in the last 3 years:
- David Concertino No.4 for Trombone
- Dvorak Cello Concerto (first movement)
- Saint Saens Cello Concerto No.1 in A minor
- Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto (first movement)
- Weber Clarinet Concerto No.1 (first movement)
- First Round (Video Submission)
- An accompanist is not required for the YouTube video submission. A simple pause can be observed during breaks in the solo part.
- The video must be a single, un-edited take without interruption. Only one submission per applicant is allowed.
- Second Round (Live Performance for Jury)
- Up to 10 performers will be selected for the second round of live, un-blinded performances before a panel of judges.
- An accompanist is also required for this round, and assistance in identifying an accompanist is available upon request.
Cuts in the tutti or accompaniment sections of the music will be permitted.
A $20 entry fee is required for anyone submitting a video to the contest. This can be provided in the form of a check to:
or through the PayPal link below.
Videos will not be viewed by the adjudicating committee until an entrance fee is received.
St. Louis Philharmonic Society
PO Box 220437
St Louis, Missouri, 63122
If you have any questions regarding the competition, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.